The Ignite Worship Internship 2020
Summer Internship for College-age students
First Presbyterian Church is excited about investing in emerging leaders. While there are many ways in which one can partner with First Presbyterian Church, college-age students who have the ability to make a more concentrated and intense time investment during the summer months may want to consider The Ignite Worship Internship.
Our Modern Worship Ministry at First Pres is called “Ignite”. We strive for passion to be ignited in the leaders and attenders any time we gather for worship. Psalm 100 is a scripture passage that is central to our vision for worship as it illustrates passionate worship that is rooted in truth. Psalm 100:1-2 commands us to come before the Lord with joyfulness and thankfulness, and paints a very vivid expectation of worship. If the goal is be to joyful and humble in worship, then how do we do that? The instruction is in the next verse. Verse 3 of Psalm 100 commands us to “to know the Lord is God; it is He who made us and we are His.” Aligning our hearts and minds around the perspective that God is supreme, and taking ownership of who we are as his children is how to begin enjoying the freedom and most intimate expressions of worship. With an identity aligned within the guidelines of scripture, a spirit of freedom takes over, enabling steps of faith to be taken. Thankfulness and joyfulness are the natural outward responses. This is what we seek to facilitate; freedom and confidence to praise with a joyful heart.
The Ignite Worship Internship
The Summer months provide margin in the worship ministry for future planning, vision casting, and process adjustment/implementation. There are also many unique opportunities for honing skills and abilities and learning how to operate within your abilities to assist other ministries in achieving their goals and objectives. We want to leverage this time in the summer to be beneficial for our interns and our church.
Our overall purpose for the Ignite Worship Internship is to ignite an environment of worship at First Presbyterian Church that helps you and the congregation grow in Jesus together. There are four basic goals for the participants of the Ignite Worship Internship that will help achieve that purpose:
- Closer Relationship to God- worship God as you grow in your understanding of Him
- Clearer Understanding of Your Calling- fortify your understanding of your identity as a child a God, minister to people, and worship leader.
- Sharper at Your Craft- cultivate your ministerial gifts while being exposed to day-to-day ministry
- Stronger Ministry- impact the ministry of the church, leaving it stronger as the result of your role
Please take a minute to review the following questions and answers so that you get a sense of what this internship is about. If you are interested in applying for a summer internship with us, please email Graydon Tomlinson at email@example.com
. Submission deadline is February 14th, 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How long is the internship and what are the working hours?
The internship is 10 weeks long beginning Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 through August 6th, 2020 (dates are tentative on candidate’s availability). The internship is 25 hours per week with a schedule of regular weekly office time (Sunday through Thursday), Sunday responsibilities, and activities (including some evenings and weekends).
2. Is this a paid internship?
Yes, this internship has a stipend of $250 per week/$2500 over the course of 10 weeks.
3. Is housing provided?
Although we cannot guarantee housing, we will make an effort to find a host home within the body if needed for the summer. If you would have a housing need upon acceptance, please let us know on the application.
4. What will I be doing?
Responsibilities for our summer intern are hand-picked in order to expose one to a wide array of ministry situations. Duties include, but are not limited to, worship service preparation and programming, songwriting and arranging, organizing and leading rehearsals, volunteer communication and development, technology integration into worship, developing creative ideas, and attending various meetings.
5. How does the application/interview process work?
To apply for the Ignite Worship Internship:
- Email Graydon Tomlinson at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application and questionnaire.
- In addition to the application, you should be prepared to submit a resume and a video/audio recording of you playing and/or singing. Please don’t be overly concerned with quality; as long as it can be clearly seen/heard then the recording can be as basic as you can provide. If you are looking for guidance on what to record and how to submit, please the website link below, which includes instructions on how we ask potential ministry musicians to submit their materials. https://www.firstpresgreenville.org/page/1727
- The deadline to submit your application, recording, and resume is February 14th, 2020
-You will be contacted via phone or e-mail by February 19th, 2020 regarding your next steps in the application process
-Hiring decisions will be announced the last week of February.